Wednesday, November 19, 2008

BCS Playoffs, scenario #4

BCS Playoffs, Scenario #4

In light of the idea that our President-Elect says that he would like to see an 8-game playoffs in the BCS, I thought I’d open the portals of the alternate worlds and see how that would shape up.

Now, we know that with ESPN now dropping money on the BCS, they are not likely to do anything for awhile. Ironic, since a lot of their sports broadcasters have been whining for a BCS Playoff…will they have a gag order by Mickey Mouse?

(get it?)

So, I went to the secret parts of my house, and opened my closet to find the portals to the other universes, where there actually ARE playoffs. After getting lost and ending up in Narnia, I found the right portal and looked at how this year’s playoffs would have presented itself. This is what I saw:

In this world where there was a BCS Playoff, it was decided that the top 8 teams would represent the NCAA, and the best teams play the lesser teams. From the current top 25 BCS Standings, this was the initial matchups:

As the current #1 team in the nation, Alabama would face the lowest ranked team, that being #8 Penn State.

As the current #2 team in the nation, Texas Tech would then face the second lowest team, that being #7 Utah.

Texas, being the third ranked team in the BCS, would play the sixth ranked USC Trojans, and the fourth and fifth ranked teams would play against each other, that being Florida and Oklahoma.

The highest ranked winning teams would face the lowest ranked team that advanced, and the other two winners would play each other. In what I could make out, I saw Texas Tech defeat Utah and advancing on to the semi-finals. I also saw Texas defeating USC and Florida in a close one over Oklahoma. I really can’t make out the winner of the Alabama vs. Penn State game, but I think Penn State might have won… not quite sure.

If that is true, then Texas Tech becomes the highest remaining team, and would then play Penn State, while Florida plays Texas. From the cloudy mists I think I make out that Texas Tech was a bit too much for Penn State, although I was rooting for Penn State. And in a very classic match, I can’t see who wins that Florida/Texas game, but I would pay to see it again.

So it looks like Texas Tech plays either Texas in a rematch, or Florida. It will either be another classic Big 12 game, or the end-all of “who’s better”. The Big 12 vs. the SEC in a historic matchup. I wanted to see who won that game, but it started getting a bit too cloudy for me…but I think I saw some orange….

Yet this was not without controversy. Although the top eight teams were involved by BCS standards, other teams were not happy with the result. Boise State, ranked #9, was not happy that they were not involved, even with a perfect record, and even though well out the picture, ranked at #17, Ball State felt that they should have been considered as well.

In addition, other conference were also disappointed. The ACC was upset because even though they had no top 10 teams, they were clearly the most competitive conference in the nation, having 8 teams currently qualified for post season play, and currently NO teams disqualified. No other conference could say that. The Big East argued similar points, although they didn’t have as much credibility as the ACC. Both conferences felt that Utah, Boise State and Ball State would not have been so great if they were in a better conference.

It would appear that more work is needed to fix this problem, as the debate continues about the BCS Playoffs. Maybe if I find another portal I can see how other universes solve this problem….until then, we still have great bowls.

No comments: