Thursday, October 9, 2008

Speedblog: Pacman Jones

Speedblog: Pacman Jones

Oh brother…

Like a lot of us who are into sports, I have seen the escapades of current Dallas Cowboy player Pacman Jones. Recently there has been a situation where he supposedly punched a bodyguard, which is employed by the Cowboys. I am not gonna get into the details of that, you know as much as I do, or can easily pop to a sports site and get the scoop on it.

But what I did want to do is reflect on if he should be punished, and if so, how long. I watched some sports shows (my favorite being Pardon The Interruption) and their take on the Pacman Jones situation. Most of the opinions seemed to say that he deserves severe punishment.

I can see two sides to this, but I think one of the better opinions came from one of the guys on the show “Around the Horn”. While three of these cats were busy hanging Pacman from the highest tree, one felt that the NFL should try to address the alcohol problem, if it is indeed a problem.

You see, it is too easy for some stuffy old sports writer like some of those guys to think that the world is perfect, and anyone who isn’t should move to Mars. I understand that Pacman Jones has screwed up a few times. Heck, even when he went to work at NWA-TNA for a moment, there were reports that he was a jerk there too. So maybe he ought to reap what he has sown.

But if the police report says there was nothing to warrant an arrest and the Dallas Cowboys feel that it is ok, then why punish the man for what you THINK he is doing? I grant you, he is no angel, but how many fights has the average football player gotten into in his career? Sometimes a violent sport creates violent individuals. If it gets to that, then the NFL must discipline them for the greater good. But come on, were you expecting Pacman Jones to visit homeless shelters and go around healing the sick?

This is tough because you have a guy that might not really “get it”, while at the same time he is a good player. But how much can you tolerate? Dallas knew what they was getting when they acquired him, so I don’t blame the Cowboys for trying to “hide” this problem…if there is indeed a problem.

To me, if the police are saying it’s a dead issue and the Cowboys say it is a dead issue, then leave it be…or just fine him something that hurts his wallet…say 100 large ones. Or just suspend him one game. But some of those guys on the talk shows are saying 4 games or a season…way to go there guys, I think it was Woody Paige who said several times, “we are a forgiving country”. Yeah right, we forgive until you slip up and then we bring it all back to count against you.

I personally think Pacman Jones needs to look at his “homeboys”. Sometimes you get in trouble because of your no-account friends….and that word “friends” is a problem. If they were your REAL friends, then they would be protecting Pacman.

I mean, if I knew an NFL player, and we were really tight, and he’s making NFL money, I’d want to make sure he is protected at all times so he can continue to make as much money as he can, and have the best career as he can. I say that because if he’s my best friend, then he’s gonna look after me too, right?

That’s not a selfish thought because he’s my friend BEFORE the money came in. But I also have to realize that he is now an investment to himself, and those around him. So us going to the “club” might not be the best thing. But that’s not to say I should discourage him from ever going out. After all, he’s a grown man.

I really think maybe the Cowboys and the NFL need to see who Pacman Jones surrounds himself with…who are his “friends”. A bodyguard is not a friend, merely an employee. Personally speaking, and I know this is just my opinion, but I think Pacman Jones’ problem isn’t so much alcohol (as far as we know) but the friends he surround himself with. And if his friends are only concerned about hanging out at the club or strip club or acting like a gangster or rapper, they could be using Pacman Jones’ influence and money to live a life they themselves cannot afford.

So is he guilty? Who can say at this moment. I think the Commissioner of the NFL needs to suspend him again, for one game because it is clear that he punched the bodyguard. Sometimes the only way to get a man’s attention is to hit his wallet. But the severity of this incident does not warrant 4 games, not if you have forgiven him for the past…that means you don’t bring it back or count it against him. Didn’t he already pay for that by losing a year?

I am not an Adam Pacman Jones fan, but until things are clearer, I do not agree with some of the sports writers to burn him like a witch in Salem. I say suspend him one game, or until the investigation by NFL is cleared. He gets taught a lesson because he IS at some fault here, and hopefully the media stories will embarrass him to try to keep out of trouble…the rest is up to him.

Anyway, it’s just a thought…gotta run…

No comments: