Thursday, October 9, 2008

Speedblog: Navy Football

Speed Blogging: Navy Football

I want to make a blog on a subject I wrote about earlier, I wrote a blog debating if Navy could make it to the post season, since things had not started out so well for them. I got a reader who commented on it, and wanted to follow up on that.

My blog stated that there is a bowl that litererally has Navy’s name all over it, all they need to do is qualify for the bowl and they are in. But things didn’t look so good for them at the beginning of the year. Yeah, I know they beat Towson 41-13, but to be honest, that is not a legit Division I win. Remember, you have to have 6 Division I wins OR a quality Division II win to qualify for post season. Towson does not quite qualify.

Navy then lost a game to Ball State, which at the time looked embarrassing, but now turns out to be a good team. But losing to Duke raised a lot of concerns about how legit Navy was, and whether they could even make it to post season.

Remember, they have to have 6 quality wins to qualify, and after 3 games, they really had none. It just wasn’t looking too good for these guys, and you really had to wonder if they could get to a bowl.

On December 20th (such as the date says) the EagleBank Bowl will be played in Washington DC. An ACC opponent will play Navy (such as scheduled). No other bowl promises a reservation to a named school except the Sun and Gator Bowls, both setting aside reservations to Notre Dame if they qualify (amongst other factors). So it is imperative that Navy first wins 6 games.

Can they?

Well, they are already half way there, with three straight wins over Rugters, Wake Forest and Air Force. I didn’t see them winning all three of those, but this was a decent team from last year. But they still have to win 3 more.

Can they win 3 of their next 6 games? Well, Navy has to play Pittsburgh, which will be very tough…let’s just say they lose (not out of respect, just supposing). If so, I can still see them winning against SMU and Temple before facing Notre Dame. As much as I’d like to see Navy win, if I had to pick, I have to go with Notre Dame…

(come on Navy, prove me wrong…..)

If it goes as planned, Navy would be 6-4 before facing Northern Illinois and their final game against Army. Remember, they have 6 wins, but that Towson game is not a Division I game, if it does not count then Navy must win one of those two games. With the earlier wins, this should not be a problem.

But what if they win 8 games…would they take a BETTER bowl than the EagleBank?

It’s gonna be very tough for Navy to get 8 wins, and a scrap to get 7, but I think they have proven that the post season is in the bag. I’d like to see them go anyway, I always pull for the military football schools any chance I get.

Best of luck Navy…you’ll need some of that to get 7 wins…maybe 8.

No comments: