Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Who Judges Tiger Woods?

Who Judges Tiger Woods?

You know, sometimes we show ourselves to be some of the most wicked people on the planet when we gossip about other people. I say “we” because I am human too, and last I checked, I was not perfect.

But we seem to live in a time where idiots look for the flaws in a human, just to make a dollar or to destroy credibility. This was seen perfectly in the Tiger Woods incident just a few days ago.

When I first heard of the story, my immediate concern was, “is he ok?” To me that was far, far more important than anything else. I don’t watch golf nearly as much as I do football or basketball, but everybody knows of Tiger. So when I heard on ESPN that he was in serious condition, my heart sank a bit.

I turned to CNN where they had helicopters flying around his house and talking about what they knew, and I was worried. So I did something maybe a lot of self righteous people don’t do… I took a moment to pray for him.

Sounds corny? Be careful what you believe, there will likely be a time you need somebody to pray for you…

So after I prayed for a minute or so, I thought more about it. They said Tiger was in “serious condition”. Not “Critical”. There is a HUGE difference, and once I thought about it, I took comfort that he should be ok. Hours later I heard that he had been treated and was released. And I want you to notice something…

When I heard that he had been released, I stop watching anything more about it. I heard what I wanted to hear, and I was satisfied. He was alive, and that to me was good enough.

But for many, it wasn’t enough. There then came all kinds of rumors and gossip about why he was even out that early in the morning (or late at night as one might say), and I remember my mom mentioning it to me. I told her, “I don’t pay attention to any of that stuff, once I learned he was ok, I stopped following the story”.

But the world of entertainment and gossip respects no man or woman, only the glory of a dollar bill, and the pride of “being the first to break the story”. So today I am watching two of my fav shows, “Around the Horn” and “Pardon the Interruption”, both on ESPN, and it was the lead story.

It bothered me because we as a nation are looking for gossip, vain imaginations and faults from everybody in the world. It is funny because some of those guys on those ESPN shows keep saying that we are a forgiving country…

Here is news for you…no we are not. We SHOULD be a forgiving nation, but many people like to rehash your past sins…meaning we do not forgive.

Quick example…today the were talking about Ron Artest, and while they were talking about him, they showed the clips from the big fight in Indiana several years ago… known to many as the “Malice in the Palace”. If we are such a forgiving nation, why do we keep showing that?

So I wondered, who has the right to judge Tiger Woods? Ironically, many people feel that they deserve to know what happened? Why? So you can hang him? This is absolutely foolish how we are so nosy in everybody elses affairs just to find a sin. Tiger admitted in his own words that he has some issues to take care of… to me, that is more than fine. In fact, I say again, once I found out he was ok, that was all I needed to know.

But it really shows the mentality and morality of our nation when we are digging in other people’s affairs as if we have a personal right to do it. We all live in glass houses and last I checked, nobody walking the earth right now is perfect. But in the same way, that was how many saw Tiger Woods…as almost a perfect individual in every way.

Well…who’s stupid fault is that? It’s not Tiger’s fault, it’s those people who hold him in such high regard. But I counter also by saying this, those who truly loved Tiger Woods are probably smart enough to know that nobody is perfect, and love him just as much as they did before. It is the idiots who prostitute gossip and sleazy stories who create a venue to put Tiger on trial for his sins, as if they never did anything wrong.

I remember how I felt when Magic Johnson contracted the HIV virus, and the rumors and gossip that came with that. To me, none of that other crap mattered, I wanted Magic to get better, and even then I prayed for him. This does NOT make me a saint by no means, but to me, that was important, far more than a man’s sin. I am sure Magic had thousands of fans that felt the same way.

A REAL fan loves the man, not the image…some would do well to remember that.

So Tiger isn’t perfect…if you didn’t know that before, that makes you an idiot, because nobody is perfect. But knowing that, I am not going to go on some witch hunt to find out the “juicy” details of his problems. To me, he is ok, and I am glad for that.

Get well soon Tiger Woods.

No comments: