Saturday, December 19, 2009

Sports is greater than Christ

Sports is greater than Christ

Shocking statement, yes?

Now, before anybody starts to think that I am a fool, let me establish first that I am a Christian, which might make my title even more controversial. But I didn’t state that as how I felt, I stated that in how American Sports feels.

Sometimes I believe that we as a nation (US) feel that every holiday is for marketing and seeing how much money we can squeeze out of the American consumer. Now I understand the nature and necessity of business to some degree, but when does it become a spiritual problem that we as a nation have apparently ignored?

When I was younger, I remember in the past on major holidays that many businesses and stores were closed, and on some stations there were lots of reruns of old shows. Even some radio stations played special programs instead of their regular format. Why was this? Because those people were home with their families.

HOME!

Not working!

A day or rest, and in the case of Christmas, some respect for what the holiday, or HOLY day is about. It is about Christ. Now I understand the childhood aspects of Christmas, with Santa Claus and stuff like that, hey, I was young too not too long ago. I get that. But today’s society, especially the business aspect, has apparently completely forgotten who Jesus was…

And apparently does not care.

Need proof? Thinks about this:

Last night I was watching NBA on ESPN, and they were bragging about how they were going to “give” us FIVE NBA games over the course of the day, either on ABC or ESPN. Now to be honest, to a person that does not put Christ first, that sounds exciting… I mean, a whole day of NBA Basketball sounds soo cool.

But spiritually speaking, this is a terrible idea and a direct rejection of the day we are supposed to devote to the birth of Christ. And again, to the common person, who in many cases does not have Christ first anyway, this does not seem to be a problem. I mean, what can it hurt to have some great matchups on tv? There is no harm in giving great programming to people over the holidays, right?

I used to agree, but I beg to differ.

Let’s use one team as an example. The Cleveland Cavaliers.

Last night (Dec. 18th) they played the Milwaukee Bucks. Now they go on a four game road trip. Consider where they are going. Monday the 20th AT Dallas. Tuesday the 21st AT Phoenix. Wednesday the 23rd AT Sacramento. Friday the 25th AT Los Angeles Lakers.

Now, I am not going to argue the first three, but the fourth one I do have a problem with. Folks, that is Christmas Day!

CHRISTMAS DAY!

And again I believe a lot of folks are sitting there saying, “so what, they are professionals, and a big time matchup like that is good for television” But in that reasoning, you have personally rejected the true value of Christmas. ESPN isn’t GIVING us anything that important…in fact they are taking money because of the ratings they expect to get.

Come on folks, think about this just for a second on a human level and on a family level, if not on a spiritual level. Those guys on the Cavs will be on the road, away from their family and friends the entire week. It is likely that no Cavalier will come back to their home until after Christmas…how can we possibly see anything good in that?

I don’t care how much money they make, no amount of money ought to make a person or business think that they can prosper over the name of Christ…which of course is the foundation of Christmas. I know that sounds a little fanatical, but I think the NBA and ESPN have overstepped their boundaries by having other men lose their holiday for the sake or money. Understand folks, it isn’t for YOU. They can say all they want about how they are giving YOU some great matchups, but at the cost of ignoring Christ?

Those guys will be away from home for Christmas, some of those guys have children, some have wives, some have moms or dads or friends they want to be close to, especially on a day like Christmas. Heck, I bet there are even a few Christians in the NBA. Would any of YOU want to be away from the people you loved most?

And right away I know some smart aleck is gonna say, “yeah, for the money they get I would”…and in that very thought you have betrayed your soul…remember that.

Look, I am all for the NBA and I love sports, and I know it is a business, but when the business thinks it is greater than Christ…because that IS what sports believes, then we have ignored the true meaning of sports and how small it is when compared to life itself, and even greater, to God and Christ. It is funny, but in a sad way, how sports only realizes how small it is after a terrible tragedy in American lives or life. After 911, or just recently after Bengals player Chris Henry died, only then did people talk about how small sports is compared to life.

But you never hear ESPN or FOX or NBC or any station talk about how small it is compared to God. It’s like they have completely refused God, except when holidays like Christmas comes around. Oh sure, they might slip in a discreet message like, “and remember the reason for the season” but that is kinda cowardly when you think about it. It is almost like television is afraid to say CHRIST, although they say Christmas 55 times a minute.

To me, IF you are going to have sports on Christmas, at least make it so the teams are close enough to play and get back home. Sure people would grumble if the Lakers played the Clippers on Christmas, or the Warriors, but if that means the players can get back home and enjoy Christmas like the rest of us, fine. If that means Orlando playing Miami, fine. But to have these guys so far away seems to show that the NBA does not care about their employees….and remember, that is EXACTLY what they are. No different if Wal-Mart told their customers, “for your convenience, we will be open all day Christmas Day”.

Oh that sounds nice to YOU…but did you think about who has to work on Christmas Day? Do you even care? If not, you just betrayed your own soul, and showed that Christmas has no meaning to you at all.

So there will be sports on television on Christmas, not because it is good for us the sports fans, and not because it is Christmas. It is because there is money to be made, and sports is, in many people’s minds, greater than Christ…even on Christmas. I guarantee you in all 5 games on ESPN, the word “Christmas” will be said over 100 times…

But Christ won’t be mentioned once.

No comments: