Thursday, October 29, 2009

Top 10 NFL teams OCT 29th

Top 10 NFL teams, Oct 29th

Ok, so I am a little late, sue me.

Anyway, as we get into the 8th week (7th for many) we see that the list of undefeated teams has dropped by one. So three teams remain undefeated, and they are obviously on the top 10 list.

But there is only 1 team with one loss, so obviously they are on the list too. However, there are 9 teams with 2 losses, so I had to decide who would not make it on my list. I am not putting any team with 3 losses on this week, maybe next week, but not this week.

Before I start with the top 10, let me share with you two teams that didn’t make it and why:

Green Bay Packers 4-2: Yeah, we know about the huge game this weekend when Brett Farve comes back home, but I am not convinced that this is a top 10 team. If they beat the Vikings, then they are in because their record would be 5-2, but there have been some questionable games thus far. Their only quality games thus far was against the Bears, which is now falling down to average, and vs. the Bengals and Vikings…both they lost.

Philadelphia Eagles 4-2: To be honest, I thought they would beat up the Redskins more than they did. The defense of the Eagles looks great, the offense needs a little help, and with an injury to Westbrook, this team looks weaker. I could put them on if I had one more spot, but I just need them to beat a quality team before I can do that.

And so, the top 10:

#10 Atlanta Falcons 4-2 Losing at Dallas hurt the team, whom I had as #6 last week, but I can’t discount this young team’s potential. Their schedule has been pretty hard, and to only lose 2 games is very good, yet coming up they have games against the Saints, Giants and Eagles, with a few softer ones sprinkled in. It may be hard for them to stay here and not get bumped out.

#9 Arizona Cardinals 4-2: I gotta tell you, I am not too impressed with NFC West teams, but for Arizona to travel across the country, and beat the Giants says a heck of a lot for the Cardinals. This to me could be a signature win for the team, and I have them as perhaps the 4th best NFC team in the NFL….maybe 3rd best.

#8 New York Giants 5-2: The Giants drop 3 spots for losing at home to the Cardinals, and now some start to wonder how good this team really is. Their previous 5 wins were against lesser opponents, and now having lost to the Saints and Cardinals changes how we may have to see the Giants… are they the real thing?

#7 Cincinnati Bengals 5-2: These cats are still in the mix, and after beating the Bears they have proven that this may well be a team to keep an eye out for. With the Ravens and Steelers coming up back to back, this may well define whether this team will be in the playoffs or just making cheap noise…we will know soon enough.

#6 Pittsburgh Steelers 5-2: Seems the defending champs are clawing their way back into the mix. Just last week I had them #10, and the week before that not ranked, but that win over the Vikings certainly put them back in. It proves that losing a couple of games early means nothing if you can rebound. The Steelers are certainly looking to get some “get back” from the Bengals, which comes up soon enough.

#5 New England Patriots 5-2: I am just not ready to bail out on the experience that this team has, and at 5-2, they are clearly in the hunt. I had them at #7 last week, and #9 the week before that. Winning their last two games will do that, but then again, beating the Titans and Buccs really doesn’t mean much….did anybody watch that Pats/Buccs game in London? I didn’t

#4 Minnesota Vikings 6-1: Since this is the only team with one loss, I can’t drop them too much further than this. I had them #3 last week, but the week before I had them #4, so this is about average. Losing to the defending Superbowl Champs in their home is a tough assignment, but this week when the travel to Green Bay, it will tell us much more. If Minnesota wins that game, they will have a lockdown on the division, and all but guaranteed to the playoffs. The way they are playing, I see them as the 2nd best NFC team in the league.

#3 Indianapolis Colts 6-0: For the Colts to be here, I am implying that they are the weakest undefeated team so far. Beating the Jags didn’t prove much, but the Miami game was pretty interesting. Handling the Cardinals in their house is nice, but beating Seattle, Tennessee and St. Louis does not prove much. With maybe 4 games left of some caliber, the Colts could easily rack up 10-12 wins, maybe more. I just need to see them against a tough opponent…say New England in about 3 weeks….

#2 New Orleans Saints 6-0: YES, my hometown, my place of birth, finally we are in there like swimwear! There is still a lot of work to be done, because 6-0 does not put you in the Superbowl…ask Tennessee about that 13-0 record that vanished. But I gotta tell ya, this record has been with merit. Factor out the Lions (please) and you see that this is indeed a tough schedule, beating the Eagles, Jets, Giants and Dolphins. To me, right now, this is the best NFC team in the league and seems to run with the belief that they will GLADLY give you 30 points…as long as they score 40.

#1 Denver Broncos 6-0: I thought a moment of whether the Broncos should be #1 or #2, but either way, if it ends like that, both would meet in the Superbowl. The Broncos beat Cincinnati in their house, dumped the Cowboys, beat the Patriots and stopped the Chargers…that is a good list of opponents. And I think this team is on a mission, yet I can’t help shake the feeling that the newness of it won’t last. With games against the Ravens, Steelers, Chargers, Giants, Colts and Eagles, there is NO way they are going undefeated…just not gonna happen, but four of those teams are AFC foes they need to gauge themselves against, so we will know the truth from those games.

So there ya have it, my top 10 as we slide into Halloween weekend. Have fun!

No comments: