Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Why is Alabama #4?

Why is Alabama #4

Speedblog

Now of the previous debates, this one is more questionable.

Last year Alabama shocked the world by going 12-2, losing to Florida and Utah… back to back. This year they were ranked in the top 10 and won over fellow-top ten ranked foe Virginia Tech. With the Hokies losing and Oklahoma losing, the Crimson Tide rolls (pardon the pun) to #4.

So….is this legit?

Both polls have Alabama as #4, and one poll gave them two first place votes. Is this legit?

If you are asking me if there are more deserving teams, I think I can argue, but after one week of football, it really does not mean a thing. You can put Duke as the #1 team in college football, because we all know they ain’t going undefeated, so it will solve itself….

(we kid because we love…UNC)

But seriously, is Alabama the fourth best team in the nation?

I kinda wonder, because as I said a moment ago, this team lost their last two games. Yeah, granted it was against Florida and Utah, two very good teams, but it is still two losses in a row. Losing a starting quarterback and a great running back does not help either.

And I gotta tell you, I wasn’t really impressed by the strength of schedule of Alabama, in the so-called powerful SEC. I mean, beating a collapsed Clemson, Tulane and Western Kentucky wasn’t that impressive for a top 10 team. Arkansas finished 5-7, and Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas State was not scaring many people. Mississippi State and Auburn were similar, so one truly wonders about those 8 games.

But credit must be given to beating Georgia and Mississippi and LSU. Those are indeed credible wins. But still, is this enough to give a team a top 5 ranking, at #4? Without playing Georgia or Florida in the regular season, I fear this could be a team that could be 5-0 before they see Mississippi. To me, their schedule just isn’t strong enough to warrant them this high, but nobody can argue the strength of the SEC. I do believe they are a top 10 team, but because it is early, I won’t argue them being #4...

I just don’t see them staying there.

No comments: