Saturday, September 12, 2009

Syracuse vs Penn State

Syracuse vs. Penn State

Speedblog

Today Penn State has a chance to take a closer shot at the National Title, being ranked #7 and at home today against the mighty Syracuse Orangemen….

Ok, so they’re not so mighty…but can they give Penn State a run?

Only Iowa and USC beat the Nittany Lions last year as Penn State gave their fans every reason to laugh in the face of those critics that kept saying that Joe Paterno ought to retire. I for one was one of those guys that just got sick of so called “analysts” who felt that Joe Paterno ought to just give it up. Isn’t that age discrimination?

I am happy for Joe Pa, so I am pulling for them, but I also saw Syracuse last week and was impressed with Paulus the former Duke basketball player. I gotta say, he is pretty good. Their team lost last week to Minnesota, and went 3-9 last year, so the expectations are not that good.

Is there any chance for Syracuse to pull an upset? Well, as the universe turns, yeah. But if you asked me if it was likely, I can’t see it. The goal for Penn State is far, far higher than what Syracuse can expect, and let’s face it, Minnesota wasn’t one of the greatest teams last year, with a 7-6 record. In fact, Minnesota lost their last 6 games last year, when it mattered.

But this is about Syracuse and Penn State. Syracuse beat Northeastern, Louisville and Notre Dame last year. Granted that ND win was a good one, this has been the extent of the Orangemen. I do expect maybe a couple of more wins if Paulus plays well as he seems to play, but I just cannot see any victory over Penn State.

This will be a REAL test for the Syracuse quarterback, playing in an opponent’s field against a top 10 contender…it won’t be pretty for him or Syracuse, but I am very sure that Paulus has the poise. Playing with Duke and Coach K would have prepared him for that, and when I saw him play, he looked like a veteran, almost “Manning-like”.

I’m pulling for him to do well, but I am pulling for Penn State to win…won’t need to put that much effort into that. I see Penn State winning by a couple of touchdowns.

No comments: