Friday, September 25, 2009

Iowa vs Penn State 2009

Iowa vs. Penn State

I have nothing against Iowa, I am sure they are a pretty good team, but I have a place in my heart for Joe Paterno.

I say that because years ago I wrote to Penn State for a media guide and I received one from them, to which I was most grateful. I also wrote a letter to Joe Paterno a few years ago and he actually answered it. It takes a nice man to take the time to answer a fan’s mail…not EMAIL, but land mail.

So you better believe I pull for Penn State when I can. But I also know that this game against Iowa is critical, because one loss can possibly knock you out for a shot at the BCS Championship. I have nothing negative to say about Iowa, so there are no hard feelings for them, but having said all that, let’s look at this matchup:

Iowa is one of those mid card teams that can have a banner year at any time. Last year they went 9-4, which in itself is great, but there are head scratchers to the teams they lost to. Losing by one point to Pittsburgh on the road is something you can live with, because Pittsburgh is a pretty good team.

Losing to Northwestern at home 22-17 is kinda iffy, I mean, Northwestern is not a long-time power in the Big 10. Losing to Michigan State 16-13 seems to set the table that this Hawkeye team plays to the competition. Losing to Illinois on the road seemed to clinch that thought.

Some might say the only credible win was against Penn State, winning 24-23 at home…sets the stage for this weekend. And losing an excellent rusher and some receivers makes this Iowa team touchable to the team the barely beat last year.

Penn State last year enjoyed huge success with an 11-2 record. As mentioned before, they lost to Iowa on the road, and lost to Southern Cal 38-24 in their final game of the year. Not bad, when you sprinkle good wins over Oregon State, Ohio State and Michigan State. We know that key elements in the offense are still there, and Penn State seems quite equal on the passing and the rushing…it will be hard to figure them out.

But maybe the biggest problem for the Nittany Lions is the hype the media puts around them. Being ranked in the top 5 now, is it possible for Penn State go to perfect? It would mean besting Iowa, a constant thorn in their side, and beating Ohio State, but it certainly is possible.

Both teams come in 3-0, with Iowa having wins over Northern Iowa by one point (errr?), Iowa State big, and Arizona by 10. Close games at home, great game away. Penn State has 3 of a 4 game home stand, beating Akron, Syracuse and Temple. To be sure, none of these teams will be crashing the gates of the BCS, but Penn State allowed only 6.5 points a game…that spells very tough defense, while averaging 30 points a game.

If there was a top 30, Iowa would not be on one poll, and barely clinging to the other. This tells me that even at 3-0, voters are not that impressed with the Hawkeyes, even though they beat Penn State last year. But with the Nittany Lions home, can the Hawkeyes repeat the performance of last year?

My heart tells me to go with Penn State, but logic says the same thing. I will admit though, I don’t think Penn State has been properly tested yet. I mean, Akron, Syracuse and Temple were 13-23 last year combined. This year they are currently 2-6...ugh.

We’ll learn much more about Penn State and their chances to play in the BCS Championship after this win, one they simply must have. To them, a loss here ruins the season…at the hands of a familiar foe.

But I see Penn State winning this handily, by 10 points, although that may still be too close for comfort. But we shall see…….

No comments: